Crispy air-fried chicken, thick cut bacon, romaine lettuce, and parmesan cheese sandwiched in a toasted brioche bun oozing with a homemade lemon mayo. Lightly breaded chicken topped with parmesan air-fried until golden and crispy and paired with a lemon mayo that perfectly replicates the flavours of caesar salad dressing with it’s go-to toppings of bacon and romaine for the best caesar salad sandwich you’ve ever had!
This is not your average chicken caesar wrap. Elevated with air-fried crispy chicken that’s juicy on the inside and crunchy on the outside that takes just 20 minutes to cook. That’s right it’s pretty easy and doesn’t require deep frying. WIN!
What’s really special about this sando is the game-changer lemon mayo. Completely made from scratch and super simple. All you need is a blender or a food processor, a few common ingredients, and BAM! a lemon mayo that ties this whole thing together. The sandwich isn’t the same without it so don’t skip it and substitute plain old mayo.. NAH UH! not gonna cut it. YOU NEED IT, otherwise well this isn’t a caesar sandwich… it just becomes a fried chicken sandwich with lettuce and bacon.
Don’t want none unless you got buns, hun- BRIOCHE BUNS to be specific. Grab a pack from just about any grocer or Costco for some for good value. They are essential. For this recipe specifically, we used the President’s Choice that came in a six pack. Delicious for breakfast sandwiches, burgers and well just about any sandwich. What makes them different is that they are a little bit more buttery and eggy and pretty soft and hold their shape when toasted. They don’t get the soggy bottoms as quickly and don’t crumble basically.
We hope you enjoy this recipe! If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and take a picture and tag it on Instagram! We love to see what you come up with. #thecommunalfeast Follow along our social media account on instagram for quick videos on how our recipes come together!
Crispy air-fried chicken, thick cut bacon, romaine lettuce, and parmesan cheese sandwiched in a toasted brioche bun oozing with a homemade lemon mayo.
Prep Time10 minutesmins
Cook Time25 minutesmins
Additional Time30 minutesmins
Total Time1 hourhr5 minutesmins
Course: Burgers & Sandwiches
Author: the communal feast
2-3bonelessskinless chicken breasts
1 1/2cupsall-purpose flour
2TBSchipotle chili powder
1TBSchampagne vinegaror white wine vinegar
salt and pepper
thick cut bacon
1. Cut each breast in half, use a mallet to pound down chicken into an even thickness. Place chicken in a plastic bag or tupperware container. Pour buttermilk, add salt and lemon zest, and chili powder overtop. Ensure each piece is fully submerged. Refrigerate at least for min 30 minutes. Remove from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for 10 minutes before tossing in flour.
2. In a shallow bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, chipotle chili and toss to combine. Remove chicken from brine and dredge in the flour mixture. Press down with your hand to ensure the chicken is fully covered in the mixture on both sides. Repeat until all the pieces have been made.
3. Preheat your air-fryer as you normally would for 10 minutes. Once ready, spray the bottom with cooking oil and coat chicken on both sides with a generous amount of cooking oil. Transfer chicken to the air-fryer basket, ensure not to overlap. Cook for 20 minutes flipping half way at 400 degrees F. Repeat if cooking in batches.
4. While the chicken is cooking, cook the bacon and prepare all the other toppings.
5. To make the lemon mayo: in a food processor, add the mustard, vinegar and egg. Blend until just combined. Slowly add the olive oil and continue to blend for 2-3 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken. Once the olive oil is added, squeeze in the lemon and mix until just combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate until ready to use.
6. To assemble: spread lemon mayo on bottom and top buns, layer some romaine on the bottom part, top with chicken, next shave a bit of parmesan, add bacon and finish with a few chopped green onions.