Crispy juicy buttermilk fried chicken drenched in jalapeño honey on a toasted bun with a buttermilk ranch sauce.
If your craving fried chicken sandwiches we’ve got a good for you. Perfectly crispy on the outside and tender so juicy on the inside. Served over a buttery brioche bun with shredded crisp lettuce, sweet & spicy dill pickles, covered in jalapeño honey finished with buttermilk ranch sauce.
For best results, marinate the chicken overnight in buttermilk and spices. Using buttermilk helps the crust develop and all those crinkles that make it extra crispy. Coating the chicken in flour + cornstarch will make the batter crispy and light and of course all the spices that give the sandwich its flavor.
The jalapeño honey adds a nice touch of sweetness and spiciness. Very simple to make and you can add it to all kinds of recipes.
To get the perfect side chicken cutlets simple pound your chicken breast to about ½ inch thick and cut it in half crosswise. You’ll end up with a chicken cutlet that fits perfectly on your bun.
1. Pound chicken breasts in between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Cut each chicken breast in half crosswise to make 2 small pieces of chicken about the same size as the bun
2. In a large bowl or container with a lid add the buttermilk, egg, cajun seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, salt & black pepper. Add the chicken to the mix and marinade overnight in the fridge. If using same day, marinade for at least 4 hours.
To make the Jalapeño Honey:
1. Place the honey and jalapenos in a small saucepan and heat over medium to high heat until it just starts bubbling and then turn the heat off. Let cool before transferring to a jar with a lid.
To make the buttermilk ranch:
1. Combined all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together
To Cook Chicken:
1. Heat oil in a large heavy-duty skillet or pot on medium temperature or until the temperature reaches 350F.
2. In a medium shallow bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and spices.
3. Working with 1 piece at a time, shake off excess marinade, dredge chicken the flour mixture and press flour on the top chicken to form a thick crust. Place on wire rack and repeat process with remaining pieces of chicken. Transfer chicken to hot oil and fry for 4-5 minutes per side or until the outside is crispy and golden and the internal temperature reaches 165F. Transfer to a wire rack and repeat frying process until all the chicken has been fried.
1. Lightly toast brioche buns
2. Add shredded lettuce to bottom bun, next add the pickles and place 1 piece of fried chicken over top. Drench chicken in jalapeño honey, next spread buttermilk ranch onto your top bun and close your sandwich.