Soft shell taco-style black bean dip features a layer of black beans mixed with sautéed onions and mushrooms that’s topped with a quick poblano crema, a layer of melted cheese and a fresh homemade salsa fresca. Scoop a generous amount into warmed tortillas to created a fun family-style appetizer or snack that’s great for game days and get togethers!
This dip is packed with veggies and it’s pretty healthy too. Except for the thin layer of melted cheese. It’s so satisfying and perfectly spiced. Each layer compliments the next.
Planning a little get together and looking for something a little healthier to serve?
Serve this! it’s a must try 🙂 It’s easy to make ahead as well. Simply keep the salsa fresca separate so that the dip can be easily warmed. Serve extra crema on the side and even mix in some tortilla chips to switch things up!
Using simple ingredients like onions, garlic, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, spices, and cheese you can create delicious healthier recipes like this comforting warm black bean dip.
The only vegetable you might not be familiar with here are the poblano peppers which we used to make a crema. The peppers add a mild chili taste that’s great for Mexican and Spanish recipes especially when roasted to bring out their natural flavours. The crema is unbelievably versatile. We’ve used it in so many recipes you could honestly make a bigger batch and plan all of your meals for the week around it. It’s that good and goes with just about anything. We’ve used it for sandwiches, nachos, and tacos.
We are loving how this dip turned out. From the flavours you taste all combined together to the way it’s served. You have the option to scoop a little or a lot into your soft shell tortillas and eat it like a taco. It’s so cute and makes it more fun!
We hope you enjoy this recipe! If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and take a picture and tag it on Instagram! We love to see what you come up with. #thecommunalfeast Follow along our social media account on instagram for quick videos on how our recipes come together!
taco-style warm black bean dip with sauteed mushrooms, onions,melted cheese, fresh poblano crema and topped with salsa fresca served with warm shoft shell corn tortillas.
Cuisine: tex mex
Author: the communal feast
For the dip
½can black beansrinsed and dried
¼cremini mushroomsroughly chopped
½small yellow oniondiced
1/2tspchipotle chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/3cupshredded cheddar cheese
corn tortillas for serving
2poblano peppersroasted skin removed
½cupplain greek yogurt
1cuptomatoesdiced into small pieces
¼cupred oniondiced into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place poblano peppers on a baking tray and lightly spray with olive oil, broil on all sides, rotating to ensure all sides are completely blistered. About 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool. Once cooled remove the skins and combine peppers salt and lime juice in a food processor or blender. Mix for 1 minute, add the yogurt and blend to incorporate a few seconds. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan heat olive oil on medium heat and sauté mushrooms with onions until browned, season with spices and salt and pepper, during the last minute of cooking add the garlic.
3. In the same food processor- no need to clean, combine black beans, cooked mushrooms/onion, a few cilantro leaves and blend until mixture is almost completely smooth. Small chunks are fine. Transfer into an oven safe serving dish and set aside.
4. Top with the mixed cheese, 2 TBS poblano crema and bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 375 degrees F. Ensure the dip is completely warmed through by inserting a fork along the side and scrapping the bottom. If not completely hot cook a few more minutes.
5. In the meantime prepare the salsa fresca by combining all the ingredients into a bowl.
6. Once the dip is hot and ready to be served place your tortillas in the oven to bake until warmed for a few minutes, fold in half as pictured above and serve alongside the dip.
7. To serve, top the dip with the salsa fresca, drizzle more poblano crema overtop and serve with tortillas.