Delicious Asian style chicken skewers served with grilled shishito peppers. Tender juicy char grilled chicken marinated in a miso, maple syrup, sesame oil and buttermilk then finished on the grill with shichimi togarashi seasoning served with an Asian style dipping sauce.
This dish is packed with flavor and perfect for anyone looking to make an easy recipe that is family friendly! This Asian style chicken recipe is loaded with flavor from the sweetness in the maple syrup to the saltiness from the miso and spice blend from the shichimi togarashi chillies.
The white miso adds a nice flavor of umami to the dish, it’s mildly sweet and salty and pairs with ginger, chillies, and sesame oil. The miso maple syrup glaze helps intensify the flavor of the chicken as we coat the chicken on the grill.
We served the chicken over blistered shishito peppers that we cooked in foil on the BBQ to avoid more dishes because sometimes you just don’t want to make a big mess. Shishito peppers aren’t hot except for when you get that one hot pepper mixed into the bag. About 1 in 10 is said to be spicy. Lucky for us this bag didn’t have any hot surprises! For cooking simply place them in foil, lightly drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and cook on the grill until blistered. Once the peppers are done, I gave them a light toss in the same Asian dipping sauce we used to served and sprinkled with shichimi togarashi seasoning.
To serve simply place the chicken skewers on a tray, add your shishito peppers all around the chicken and sprinkle with chopped green onions and shichimi togarashi seasoning and serve with your dipping sauce.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe!
1. Place the miso, maple syrup, olive oil, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and red chilli paste in a bowl and whisk to combine. Remove ¼ of the mixture and set aside. Add the chicken to the remaining marinade and toss to coat. Add the buttermilk and let marinade for at least 30 minutes or more. Soak the bamboo skewers in cold water.
2. When the chicken has marinated, drain the bamboo skewers and thread the chicken onto the skewers.
3. Once the chicken is ready to cook, place the shishito peppers on your foil and drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with salt. Cover with foil.
4. Spray the grill with cooking spray and preheat grill to medium heat. Place the chicken and peppers on the grill. Turn the chicken every 4-5 minutes brushing each time with the reserved marinade. Sprinkle the chicken with a small amount of shischimi togarashi when almost done. Cook until the chicken is cooked through which is about 12-15 minutes. Cook the shishito peppers until blistered, this only takes a few minutes.
5. To make the dipping sauce, add all the ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine.
6. Toss the shishito peppers in 2 tablespoons of dipping sauce.
7. To assemble, place the chicken skewers on a serving tray, place the shishito peppers around. Sprinkle everything with shichimi togarashi seasoning and chopped green onions.
Serve with dipping sauce on the side.