Quite possibly the most delicious black bean burger ever! The combination of the black bean patties paired with freshly made toppings has all of your summertime favourites packed into the most epic sliders. These sliders are loaded with an easy grilled corn salsa with a hint of heat, fresh smashed avocado, sweet beer caramelized onions and drizzled in a simple Mexican crema for the perfect finishing touch.
We’ve combined our summer favourites of grilled mexican street corn which we’ve turned into an easy grilled salsa topping, fresh avocado, and cilantro from our garden as inspiration for the best burger toppings. Since black beans and corn are already a widely known duo it was a no brainer to come up with a black bean burger patty to perfectly compliment all these delicious fixings. No burger is complete without onions so we just had to throw those on and of course make them beer onions 🙂
Nothing about making these burgers is hard. In fact forming the patties themselves is probably the easiest step in all of this. We recommend cooking the quinoa and allowing it to cool slightly to make it easier for you to form patties with your hands. Using a food processor to slightly mash the beans can also save some prep time. You can make these in advance and let them chill until you’re ready to serve.
For the rest of the toppings (yes it seems like there is a handful of steps..) but they aren’t hard at all they just require some time and attention. Really its the onions. They take long but they are soooo worth it. AGAIN WORTH IT! They smell incredible and will have you drooling.
With Canada Day just around the corner we thought these would be a perfect addition to any lineup. Whether you’re headed to a cottage or having a BBQ- sliders are a fun and easy option to serve. These little guys are vegetarian friendly which makes them perfect for all your guests. Their easy to serve once cooked simply pre-assemble all of them and have them ready to go on a tray. They can be completely made in advance as well and packed in a cooler if your headed somewhere for the day just hold off on cooking the burgers until your ready to eat!
If you make these sliders be sure to leave a comment and give the recipe a rating! Don’t forget to share and tag us @thecommunalfeast and #thecommunalfeast on instagram and pinterest! We love hearing from you and seeing what your making.
Black bean and quinoa vegetarian sliders topped with deliciously caramelized beer onions, fresh grilled corn salsa, smashed avocado and mexican crema.
Course: Burgers & Sandwiches
Author: the communal feast
1/4cuppanko bread crumbs
1tspchipotle chili powder
2TBSfresh cilantrofinely chopped
salt and pepper to season
garnish with mashed avocado and mexican cremalinked below
2large yellow onionsthinly sliced
1small can beerpreferably a lager
3larges ears of corn
4green onion stems
1. In a large bowl combine mashed beans, quinoa, panko, egg, spices, cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Form 10 slider patties using your hands, cover and refrigerate until ready to cook. The patties should be the same size as the slider buns and about 3/4-1 inch in thickness.
2. To make the beer onions: in a medium skillet melt butter and add the onions, cook on low stirring occasionally until softened and onions begin to caramelize. (they should begin to look slightly golden and appear sticky) About 40 minutes. At this point slowly pour a bit of beer into the skillet until absorbed. Continue to cook and add beer once absorbed until all of the beer has cooked into the onions. Transfer to a bowl once done.
3. In the meantime make the corn salsa: on a BBQ set to 350 degrees grill corn, jalapeno and green onions. Cook on all sides until nicely charred and grilled. The onions will only take 2-3 minutes whereas the corn and jalapeno will be about 10 minutes. When ready let cool slightly. Remove the kernels using a sharp knife and add to a mixing bowl. Thinly dice the onions and jalapenos removing the charred skin and add to the mixing bowl. Add the cilantro and lime juice and set aside.
4. Once the onions have finished cooking and your ready to cook the burgers, on a grill sear both sides of the sliders (2 minutes per side).
5. To serve: place each burger on a bun, top with mashed avocado, beer onions, corn salsa and finish with mexican crema. ENJOY!
BURGERS: The slider patties can be made in advance and kept in the fridge up to 5 days. ONIONS: can be made ahead the day of and re-heated. Not recommended to be made too far in advance as they will lose their texture and freshness.