Simple fresh summer flatbread made with juicy grilled nectarines, grilled corn, grilled asparagus, creamy mozzarella, fresh arugula and cherry tomatoes. A light meal perfect for summer grilling.
Summer days are here and if you’re like us you’re out there grilling as much as possible enjoying the summer heat and delicious flavours of the grill. In Canada we have 4 glorious months of summer heat and most of the time you’ll catch us outside on the grill sipping on an ice cold beer watching the dogs run around and cool off in the pool.
This flatbread recipe is a great way to empty out some leftover produce in the fridge and turn it into a delicious light flatbread recipe.
For the base of our flatbread we made a delicious sundried tomato pesto! Its so good and really brings all the ingredients together. In the food processor add a full jar of sundried tomatoes with the oil –The oil is the best part drizzle it over salads this summer .. YUMM Throw in some fresh rosemary, garlic cloves, walnuts, extra olive oil, red pepper flakes and of course salt & pepper. Save any leftover pesto and use on crostini’s or in pasta.
Next we use mini boccoccini balls which is just small balls of fresh mozzarella and tore them in half over the flatbread. Feel free to use any cheese you already have on hand like burrata or mozzarella. Add your grilled veggies to the flatbread and spread them out evenly to make sure every bite has a delicious medley of flavours. Turn your grill to low heat and grill the flatbread for 2 minutes. This will help melt the cheese and give the flatbread a nice char.
To finish things off we garnished our flatbreads with fresh arugula, fresh chopped basil, prosciutto slices and a drizzle of honey. Don’t be shy with the honey, the sweetness works well with the char from the grill.
We hope you enjoyed our summer flatbread!
To make the sundried tomato pesto:
1. Add all ingredients to a food processor including the oil from the sundried tomatoes. Blend until smooth. Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To make the grilled veggies:
2. Heat the grill to medium high heat
3. Wrap the asparagus in foil, season with butter, garlic powder, salt &
4. Remove the husk from the corn and spray with olive oil cooking spray of
brush with butter. Place corn and asparagus directly on the grill.
5. Remove the asparagus from the grill after 10 minutes. Ensure to turn the corn husks every 5 minutes and grill for 15 minutes.
6. Use a grilling tray, spray it with cooking spray and add the sliced nectarines. Cook for 5 minutes on the grill. Place the jalepeno directly on the grill. You just want to light char the jalepeno which takes about 3-4 minutes. Remove all your veggies from the grill and turn the grill to low heat.
7. Once the corn has cooled enough to handle, cut the kernels off the ear. Chop the asparagus in half and slice the jalepeno.
Prepare the flatbread:
8. Spread the sundried tomato pesto on the flatbreads. Next add the boccoccini balls, you just want to tear a few pieces and spread them out evenly.
9. Add the sliced red onions, asparagus, corn, cherry tomatoes and nectarines to the flatbread. Transfer the flatbread to the grill and grill for 2-3 minutes. Once the cheese has melted and the flatbread has a nice char, remove from the heat and turn off grill.
10. Garnish the flatbread with fresh arugula, torn pieces of prosciutto and fresh chopped basil.
To served drizzle some honey over the flatbread and enjoy!