Easy chicken shawarma tacos are loaded with fresh tomatoes, romaine lettuce, red onions, pickled turnips and a yogurt tahini sauce! Healthy & satisfying chicken shawarma great for weeknight dinner, or an easy meal to prep for grab-&-go
Perfect for lunch or a light dinner, chicken shawarma made into tacos filled with fresh veggies, full of delicious flavor and kid friendly!
The classic shawarma is normally made from white and dark chicken roasted over a spot and shaved thinly into a delicious wrap. We went with chicken breast since it’s usually something we have on hand, its low calorie but feel free to use your preferred choice of protein.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SHAWARMA SEASONING:
Chicken Shawarma can be marinated in a variety of spices and aromatics, the longer the chicken marinades the more flavour you’ll have. Spice mix used:
Extra virgin olive oil
Ground cayenne pepper
Sea salt and black pepper
WHAT PROTEIN IS IN A SHAWARMA?
Shawarma can be made of beef, lamb, turkey, chicken, or a mix of meat, but I’ve kept this recipe simple using chicken. The chicken can be grilled, baked or cooked on the stove and you can easily turn this recipe into a salad or a hummus bowl.
We hope you enjoyed this quick & easy weeknight dinner!
Easy chicken shawarma tacos are loaded with fresh tomatoes, romaine lettuce, red onions, pickled turnips and a yogurt tahini sauce! Healthy & satisfying chicken shawarmagreat forweeknight dinner, or an easy meal to prep for grab-&-go
Course: Quick & Easy
Author: the communal feast
2poundsboneless skinless chicken thighs pounded to an even thickness
1/4cupextra virgin olive oil
Pepper to taste
Soft shell taco tortillas
romaine lettuce chopped
Roma tomatoes slice
red onions thinly sliced
pickled turnips optional
Garlic tahini yogurt sauce
3/4cupGreek yogurt or mayo
4clovesgarlicminced or grated
salt to taste
1. Whisk all of the Marinade ingredients together in a large bowl or freezer size plastic bag. Add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat one tablespoon vegetable oil a large cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium high heat. When the pan is hot add chicken in a single layer and sear both sides (takes about 2-3 minutes per side). Finish the cooking the chicken in the oven for 10 minutes. (could be less depends on thickness of chicken) or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
MAKE THE SAUCE:
3. Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl.
4. Warm tortillas in the oven or microwave
5. Fill warmed tortillas with lettuce,tomatoes, red onions, pickled turnips, chicken, fresh cracked pepper and garlic tahini sauce.