1. prep the chicken: pound the chicken down to an even thickness using a mallet or rolling pin, cover the chicken with plastic wrap first.
2. to make the marinade combine balsamic, olive oil, oregano, garlic and onion powder and place into a plastic bag or dish large enough to cover the chicken. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add more olive oil if needed to ensure the chicken is fully covered. Refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Preheat the grill to 350 degrees F.
4. To make the salsa topping: combine diced cucumber, olives, tomatoes, red onion and dill in a bowl. Season with a touch of salt and pepper and the lemon juice. Set aside until ready to assemble.
To cook the chicken, grease the grill with some cooking spray or brush with oil. Place chicken breast side down directly on the grill. Let side for 3-4 minutes and flip. Cook the other side for 3-4 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Once rested slice the chicken into thin strips.
Leave the grill on and toss those pitas directly on the grill to warm right before assembling. Heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute until just warmed.
5. To serve: spread some tzatziki across the bottom of each pita, layer with shredded lettuce, top with chicken strips and finish with the salsa and extra tzatziki. Enjoy!
prep time: 1 HOUR
cook time: 10 MINUTES
additional time: --
total time: 1H10 MINUTES
I love this recipe so much! I constantly crave it and make it on repeat. I cannot describe how good and perfect tasting this is. Everything comes together nicely and all the flavors work beautifully together. This is a summer hit!
Greek Chicken Pitas with Olive and Cucumber Salsa make for a fantastic light summer meal that pairs wonderfully with some crispy fries or a side salad. Balsamic marinated chicken grilled chicken strips layered in a toasted pita with fresh tzatziki that’s finished with a light lemony and herbaceous olive and cucumber salsa with fresh tomatoes and red onion. This dish is bright, colorful and super fresh tasting which is great for warmer weather when you crave something light but filling and full of flavor.
We hope you enjoy this recipe! If you give this recipe a try, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and take a picture and tag it on Instagram! We love to see what you come up with. #thecommunalfeast Follow along our social media account on instagram for quick videos on how our recipes come together!
Inspired by fresh Greek produce and playing of tzatziki and a Greek salad I decided to combine olives, cucumber, tomato, dill, and red onion into a garnish by tossing it all together as a chunky salsa that’s seasoned with a touch of lemon juice and some salt and pepper and I just spooned it overtop the chicken strips into the pitas. It’s super simple just a little bit of chopping and tossing together in a bowl. It pulls everything together with the chicken, the lettuce and the tzatziki. Of course you could add some crumbled feta cheese for an extra finishing touch.