A fun twist on our favorite summer treat! Salted caramel drumstick cupcakes made with vanilla cupcakes, salted caramel buttercream icing, and melted chocolate finished with chopped peanuts and a sugar cone.
We made these fun cupcakes for a gender reveal party and they were such a hit! Everyone couldn’t stop eating them and even turning them upside down and eating the cupcake just like you would with a drumstick.
Simple perfectly moist vanilla cupcake with an easy to make salted caramel buttercream. Not too sweet with just the right amount of sugar! Drizzle with melted chocolate, chopped peanuts and a sugar cone which give the cupcakes a fun drumstick look.
Enjoy our fun cupcake recipe with your family and friends!
To make the vanilla cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with liners.
2. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large
mixer bowl and combine. Set aside.
3. Add the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and eggs to a
medium sized bowl and combine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat
until well combined.
5. Slowly add the water to the batter and mix on low speed
until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure
everything is well combined. Please note that the batter will be very thin.
6. Fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 and bake for 15-17
minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
7. Remove the cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2
minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
For Salted Caramel
8. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add brown sugar and stir to combine
9. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly Add heavy cream, vanilla and salt and stir to combine completely
10. Remove from heat and let cool slightly before transferring to a bowl or jar to cool to room temperature.
For Salted Caramel Buttercream
11. In the bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed for 1 minute
12. Reduce speed to low and add confectioner's sugar one cup at a time mixing until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
13. Stop mixer and add salted caramel. Whip on medium speed to combine and then increase speed to high and mix for 2-3 minutes until buttercream is light and fluffy. If buttercream is too thick, add 1-2 TBSP whole milk. If too thin, add more confectioner's sugar.
14. Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes
To make chocolate topping:
15. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the chocolate chips and
allow them to sit for a minute or two to soften, then stir until the chocolate starts to melt and turns into a ganache. Stir in the corn syrup.
16. Drizzle a small amount of the chocolate sauce over the top of the cupcakes, allowing it to drip down over the buttercream. Dip the broken sugar cones into the salted caramel and place on top of cupcakes. Top with chopped peanuts
17. Allow the chocolate to set for a few minutes before serving.