STRAWBERRY & CREAM FRENCH TOAST BAKE
The perfect make ahead brunch recipe served with fresh berries, fresh basil, maple syrup and of course whipped cream! Perfect for Sunday brunch and Mother’s Day
Servings: 4 -6
- 1 loaf French bread of Challah cut in large chunks
- 2 tbsp butter for greasing pan
- 2 cups milk or half and half
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup light brown sugar plus 1 tbsp
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 ounce cream cheese room temperature and softened
- 2 tbsp of confectioners sugar
- 2 cups strawberries cut into ¾ to 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh basil finely chopped
- Whipped cream
1. Butter a 9x13 casserole dish. Set aside.
2. In a medium sized bowl whip the cream cheese with a hand mixer until soft and fluffy (just a couple of minutes) then mix in the confectioners sugar and set aside
3. In a large bowl, whisk together milk (or half and half), vanilla, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
4. Arrange the bread chunks into your baking dish and pour the egg mixture over top. You can start by mixing a small amount of mixture at a time and tossing the bread chunks and then adding more to make sure the breads a all soaked and coated in the egg mixture and cinnamon.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight if only serving the next day.
6. Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees
7. Dollop the cream cheese over the bread. We like to make sure there’s a cream cheese dollop at least in every slice.
8. Bake for 45 minutes or until the French toast is golden and crisp. If it starts to brown to much you can add butter cubes.
9. To serve spoon your fresh strawberries overtop, garnish with fresh chopped basil and serve with whipped cream and maple syrup.