MUSHROOM AND WILD RICE SOUP
Warm and cozy hearty vegetarian mushroom and wild rice soup loaded with plenty of veggies and herbs.
Servings: 5 -6
- 1 medium Spanish onion finely chopped
- 2-3 celery ribs finely chopped
- 2 small-medium size carrots pealed and grated
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 3 cloves of garlic grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms or shiitake
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cups half and half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat
2. Add mushrooms and sautée for 5 minutes. Next add the onions, carrots and celery to the pan. Sautee for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
3. Add flour and give everything a good stir. Add the garlic and ginger, next add the wild rice continuously stirring the ingredients.
4. Add the vegetable broth, generously season with salt and pepper then add your fresh herbs (You can tie the sprigs together so its easier to remove when serving) and chopped parsley. Bring everything to a boil for about 3 minutes then reduce and let cook for 20-30 minutes until the rice is fully cooked.
5. Remove the fresh herb sprigs. Stir in cream and fresh spinach. Cook for another 2 minutes. Taste and season accordingly.
6. Optional to garnish with fresh chopped herbs and serve with crusty bread.