CARNE ASADA RICE BOWLS
Perfectly marinated and grilled Carne Asada steak sliced and served alongside steamed rice with charred corn, pickled red onions, scallions, cilantro and finished with a fresh cilantro green sauce.
- 1 ½ lbs flank steak skirt steak
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juices from 2 limes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 corn ears
- 2 limes
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- Salt + pepper
- 2 cups steamed rice can use jasmine, wild rice, etc.
- Pickled red onions
- Fresh cilantro
- Cilantro Green Sauce:
- 1 cup basil
- 2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine orange juice, olive oil, cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic, whisk until combined. Reserve about 1/3 cup of the marinade in a separate jar.
2. Combine the marinade with your steak and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, the longer the better (we try to aim for 4 hours minimum)
3. Pre heat the grill to high heat
4. Remove the steak from the marinade and grill about 6 to 8 minutes per side. (Best cooked medium rare, if you are using thinly sliced steak, grill on each side for 2 minutes, you can coat the steak with a bit of the marinade to help get the to sizzle and achieve those grill marks as your cooking)
5. While the steak if grilling, grill the corn until charred on all sides. About 12 minutes
6. Remove the steak and let rest for 10 minutes. Once your steak has rested, slice really thin slices against the grain and then chop those slices into bite size pieces. You might have extra steak, store any leftovers
7. Once the corn has cooled slightly, cut the kernels off and toss in a bowl with a squeeze of lime juice, the chopped scallions and salt + pepper to taste
8. To make the green sauce: add all the ingredients to a food processor, blend until you get a dark green thick sauce -about 2 minutes. Adjust taste by adding more seasoning or cilantro.
9. To plate the rice bowls start by adding about 1 cup of steamed rice to each bowl, next layer the steak around the rice and drizzle with a bit of your leftover marinade. Add the corn and scallions over the rice and garnish with pickled red onions and fresh cilantro. Next drizzle the cilantro green sauce over the steak and serve with a lime wedge.