CACIO E PEPE OATS
A twist on one our favorite pasta dishes! Savory cacio e pepe oats loaded with Parmesan cheese, freshly cracked pepper and topped with poached eggs for a savory breakfast that’s out of this world!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or pecorino plus more garnish
- Kosher salt
- Poached eggs -optional
1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil along with chopped shallot. Cook shallot stirring occasionally until translucent -about 2 minutes.
2. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in oats, bring to a boil and let simmer on low for 30 minutes or until oats are perfectly cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Season generously with lots of freshly cracked black pepper (seriously don’t be shy, we love pepper and the more the merrier). Add the grated cheese with a dash of kosher salt. Season and adjust as needed.
3. Serve and garnish with more pepper and cheese. Optional to top oats with poached eggs -highly recommend, the yolks just makes it that much better)