AMAZING and tender beef barbacoa made with chipotle peppers, green chilies, citrus juice, beef broth and spices. The flavor is amazing and it slow cooks to perfection! Served in burritos loaded with sautéed peppers & onions, Spanish rice and pico de gallo.
One of our healthy go to meals when we are on the go are beef
barbacoa burritos, it’s one of my husband’s favorites so I decided to make this
at home for him, who knew he would love my recipe more than the restaurants!
Barbacoa is simply a way of cooking meat, usually barbecued
or slow cooked until tender and shredded. Beef Barbacoa is beef that is barbecued
or slow cooked until it pulls apart & extremely tender.
There is just something about tender juicy meat that has been
slow cooked all day and just falls apart –its so delicious and incredibly easy
to make. We are very particular when it comes to eating beef, it can’t be dry
or chewy which is why we went with a sirloin roast that had very little fat and
just made eating the burritos that much better!
The beef shredded
so easily and the flavours just make your mouth water!
Were just two people in our house so making this much beef might seem like a waste but trust me you won’t have much left over. We are not one of those people who skimp out on the meat when it comes to filling up our burrito, so load up on the meat and veggies and only use a small amount of rice as a filler and to absorb a bit of the meat juices.
My husband could not stop
eating the beef on its own but he left me just enough meat to meal prep some
lunches for the week. Another reason why we love this recipe so much, it was so
easy to make because the slow cooker does all the work and you can easily cook
extra rice, veggies and fixings to plan out your meals or lunches for the week.
Bon Apetit! Dont forget to share and tag us! @thecommunalfeast
AMAZING and tender beef barbacoa made with chipotle peppers, green chilies,citrus juice, beef broth and spices. The flavor is amazing and it slow cooks to perfection! Served in burritos loaded with sautéed peppers &onions, Spanish rice and pico de gallo.
Prep Time10 minutesmins
Cook Time8 hourshrs
Total Time8 hourshrs10 minutesmins
Course: Burgers & Sandwiches
Author: the communal feast
4lbsbeef roast –I used a sirloin roastuse what you can find in store but make sure its good quality meat, not to fatty go for a beef chuck roast or a beef brisket
Salt & pepper to taste
2large chipotle peppers in adobo saucechopped
1 ½cupbeef broth
1tbspapple cider vinegar
1small yellow onionthinly sliced
1tbspgreen chiliesstore bought can most likely near the taco ingredients
Fresh chopped cilantro
Spanish rice –store bought
1orange pepper or yellow pepper
Burrito wrapsI used specific wraps made for burritos because they are bigger and will hold all your ingredients
1can black beans
Shredded Mexican cheese -optional
Pico de gallo
¼red onionfinely chopped
Juices of 2 limes
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Trim the fat and cut the beef into large cubes and season with salt & pepper. In a large skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil and sear the beef on each side. Transfer to your slow cooker.
2. To the slow cooker add the rest of the ingredients: adobo chilies, green chilies, apple cider, brown sugar, beef broth, garlic, cumin, oregano, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, cloves, and lime juice.
3. Cook on low for 8-9 hours or high for 6 hours.
4. Remove the bay leaves and shred the meat with two forks and turn on warm. Let the shredded meat sit in the juices for at least 10 minutes before serving
5. Garnish beef with fresh chopped cilantro for serving
To make the Pico
1. Chop all the ingredients and add to a bowl
2. Season with salt & pepper and freshly squeezed lime juice
3. Toss everything together and set aside for serving
To make the peppers
1. Slice all your peppers and set aside
2. In a large sautee pan, heat olive oil and add peppers
3. Season with chili spices to add more flavor to your burritos or just salt & pepper
4. Cook until the peppers become soft, about 5 minutes
5. Remove from pan and set aside
To assemble your burritos
1. Warm your burrito wraps in the microwave for about 10 seconds
2. Place all your ingredients like the shredded cheese, the shredded meat, the peppers, beans, the pico, rice and sauces in front of you so everything is ready
3. Fill your burrito –Make sure your ingredients are lined up almost to the center of the burrito
4. Start with the rice first than the meat, next layer the beans & peppers, pico and cheese. Add your choice of burrito sauces like sour cream or hot sauce (we used a medium garlic sauce)
5. Next fold your wrap into a burrito making sure you are wrapping tightly to keep everything together
6. Optional to wrap your burrito in foil –helps keep the juices in and cut in half for serving
About half way through the cooking time I like to turn the beef chunks to make sure every piece of meat sits in the sauce and is as tender as possible